The 2022 Winter Paralympics is almost here and when it come to the Olympic and Paralympic events, some of the world’s best para athletes participate in the men’s and women’s events across the sporting events that take place in the Games
The 2022 Winter Paralympics will begin from 4th of March and, will be concluded on 13th March.
This global Paralympics sporting event would be hosted over 10days with many athletes who will be participating in 78 different events spread across six sports which are divided into two disciplines: snow sports which include alpine skiing, cross-country skiing, biathlon and snowboarding and ice sports that include Para ice hockey and wheelchair curling.
The Para Nordic skiing event will be having the highest number of medal events with 38 medals, which will be followed by the Para alpine skiing event with 30medals, then comes snowboarding with 8 medals, and one each for the Para ice hockey and wheelchair curling. From all the events that will take place at the 2022 Winter Paralympics 39 events are for male athletes, 35 are for female athletes and four are mixed events.
Best Para Athletes At The Winter Paralympics 2022 To Watch Out For
Alike 2022 Winter Olympics, the 2022 Paralympics will too take place in China’s capital Beijing and its territories. All the sporting events will take place at six venues in the three competition zones of central Beijing, Yanqing and Zhangjiakou.
Let’s Have A Look At The Top 8 Contenders Whom To Look Out For In The Upcoming 2022 Winter Paralympics-
- Mike Schultz — the US: The Beijing 2022 Winter Paralympics will be Mike Schultz’s second Paralympic Games for the snowboarding event. Schultz during the PyeongChang in 2018 Winter Paralympics clinched a gold and a silver medals. Schultz till now has three silver medalsto his name at the world championship level with one each in dual banked slalom, snowboardcross and banked slalom.
- Rico Roman — the US: Rico is one of the most celebrated players of the Winter Games. Roman is also a war veteran, and is also an iconic para ice hockey player. He plays as a forward for Team USA. Rico during the Winter Paralympic PyeongChang 2018 secured the gold to his name and the Sochi 2014 Winter Paralympics.
- Jung Seung-hwan — South Korea: Jung Seung-hwan. He has been conferred with the nickname of Messi on Ice as he is an exceptionally amazing player and, is an icon in his home country. Jung helped his team clinch the bronze medal at the PyeongChang 2018 Paralympics. Not only this, but also Hwan has also been Team USA’s leading scorer for four consecutive World Championships.
- Henrieta Farkašová — Slovakia: Henrieta Farkašová of Slovakia is one of the most decorated Winter Olympians of all time as she has 12 medals to her name across all the disciplines of Super-G, combined, giant slalom and downhill. Henrieta has multiple World Championships to her name as well.
- Benjamin Daviet — France: Benjamin secured two gold medals and one silver medal during the PyeongChang Paralympic Games 2018.Daviet has been consistent in his performance of cross-country skiing event. Benjamin Daviet secured a bronze at Sochi Paralympics. Daviet also along with these Paralympic medals has a total of nine gold, five silver and two bronze medals from three World Championships in his two disciplines.
- Marie Bochet — France – In January 2022, Alpine skier Marie Bochet secured a gold during the giant slalom event at the Lillehammer 2021 World Para Snow Sports Championships. That gold was Bochet’s 30th championship title being a part of the Paralympic Games or World Championships. Not only this but also, she is part of the French Army’s ‘Army of Champions’ programme.
- Oksana Masters — the US: Masters is an inspiration for everyone as her story would motivate every person to strive forward as she was born with a lot of problems as she was born near Chernobyl which affected her, but it didn’t stop her from being one of the greatest. Masters secured two gold medals, three silver medals and two bronze medals in Nordic skiing event during the PyeongChang 2018 Paralympics and the Sochi 2014 Paralympics. She also has a para rowing bronze medal from the London 2012 Paralympic Games to her name. She also has two gold medals in para cycling at the Tokyo 2020 Paralympic Games to her name .In addition to all these, she has 22 medals, including 11 gold, in the World Championships.