Police in Barcelona is looking into a reported sexual assault in a nightclub that allegedly involves Dani Alves of Brazil
Spanish newspaper ABC has recognised the defender as the man whom the accused sex crime victim described as the offender on the scene. The 39-year-old right-back, a former Barcelona player who represented Brazil in the World Cup in Qatar last month at the age of 39, is said to be denying any wrongdoing.
Footballer Dani Alves accused of sexual assault at night club Sutton in Barcelona
Police in Barcelona are looking into a reported sexual assault in a nightclub that allegedly involves Dani Alves of Brazil.
Respected Spanish newspaper ABC has recognized the defender as the man who the accused sex crime victim described as the perpetrator on the scene. pic.twitter.com/RwJr3iDCV8
— Futball News (@FutballNews_) January 2, 2023
Detectives have not yet interviewed him, and the woman at the centre of the event they are looking into claims she has not yet gone to a police station and filed a formal complaint.
The bigger picture
Sutton, a nightclub in Barcelona’s centre that attracts celebrities from all over the world, has been identified as the location of the alleged sexual assault. Although authorities claim the alleged event took place at roughly 5 a.m. on Saturday, ABC reports that it happened in the early hours of Friday morning.
According to ABC, the woman who pointed a finger at Alves allegedly raised the alarm after a male touched her privates inside the renowned nightclub. She allegedly told her companions, who then informed security personnel. This allegedly led to the activation of a city hall protocol for sex assaults and harassment inside privately operated nightclubs, which included transporting the victim to a “safe location” and phoning the police.
According to ABC, when the victim reported to the Catalan police about the event, the alleged attacker had already departed the nightclub.
Davi Alves denies any wrongdoing.
The football player’s entourage has refuted the charges after being contacted by this paper. Even though Alves was inside the venue for a brief period, they insist the information is incorrect.
Adding to it, a representative for the local Mossos d’Esquadra police confirmed: “We are looking into an alleged sexual assault that happened in the early hours of Saturday in a nightclub in Barcelona.”
However, he declined to confirm claims that the alleged victim named Dani Alves as the aggressor. The official continued, “Police have met with the woman who made the claim, but she has not yet filed a formal written report at a police station.”
It remains to be seen who comes out as an offender.
Alves, who joined UNAM Pumas in Mexico after leaving Barcelona during the summer, has not yet posted any official comments on his social media accounts. The football player, who is married to model Joana Sanz, who was born in Tenerife, greeted his supporters with a happy new year on Instagram. Moreover, Spanish beauty Joana has not offered any commentary either.
Alves has played for Seville, Juventus, Paris Saint-Germain, Sao Paulo, and two stints at Barcelona, among other teams. He is regarded by many as one of the best full-backs to ever play the position. He has played in all of Brazil’s complete international matches since 2006, and he is the country’s second-most all-time cap recipient.
Alves participated in his country’s loss to Cameroon in the last round of Group G matches, becoming the oldest Brazilian to appear in a FIFA World Cup.